King Charles releases statement as Andrew arrested
THE King has said “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” over the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
News broke of his brother's arrest this morning, after Andrew was under renewed scrutiny since the publication of the "Epstein files" in the US suggested he had leaked his paedophile friend sensitive government documents.
Plain-clothes officers were seen outside Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where the former prince has been living, earlier on Thursday, which is also the disgraced royal's birthday.
It is understood neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
The King has said in a written statement: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.
“Charles R.”
Andrew is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.
The force said on Thursday: "As part of the investigation [into misconduct in public office], we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
"The man remains in police custody at this time.
"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
The King is set to open London Fashion Week later today the Queen is taking part in an engagement in Westminster at Sinfonia Smith Square where she will attend a lunchtime orchestral concert.
Searches are being carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, the force said.
Emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by Andrew five minutes after being sent by his then-special adviser Amir Patel.
Another, on Christmas Eve 2010, appeared to send Epstein a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/25869018.king-releases-statement-prince-andrew-arrested/