White House locked down and reporters forced to dive for cover as gunfire erupts
A suspect opened fire near the White House and reportedly struck a civilian before he was shot down by the Secret Service.
The individual approached the perimeter on Saturday evening and unloaded several shots, a law enforcement source told the Daily Mail.
The White House was placed on lockdown with the president inside as the shooting unfolded.
The gunman fired three shots and hit a civilian before he was 'taken down' by Secret Service agents, Fox News chief congressional correspondent Chad Pergram said.
He was taken to the hospital, a law enforcement source confirmed to the Daily Mail.
Journalists reporting from the White House were left ducking for cover as they reported hearing 20 to 30 rounds fired.
The reporters were evacuated from the North Lawn and raced to safety inside the press briefing room.
Television footage from the scene showed heavily armed agents roaming the perimeter with the FBI now on the scene.
Video showed ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang ducking and hiding after the gunfire erupted.
'I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,' she said.
'It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,' she added.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House when the gunfire erupted having been working on finalizing a peace deal with Iran.
The press pool had been dismissed about an hour before the shots were heard, with just a few broadcast journalists remaining. They have since been released from the briefing room.
It comes just weeks after many of the same individuals were forced to cower behind tables and chairs during the White House Correspondents' Dinner shooting last month.
Reporters who were already inside the White House were told to shelter in place while Secret Service agents shouted 'get down' and warned of 'shots fired.
In the minutes following the shooting, CNN reported the gunfire came from the 17th Street side of the White House, closer to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
FBI Director Kash Patel tweeted the FBI were present as part of the investigation.
'FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we’re able.'
Just before 7pm, CNN reported that the lockdown at the White House had ended.
The Daily Mail has contacted the DC Metropolitan Police Department, the White House press office and the Secret Service for comment.
This is a breaking story - more follows… …
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article-15843861/Secret-Service-springs-action-gunshots-heard-outside-White-House.html