tyb
o7
edited
news from the u.k
labour will not cut the disability cuts but they will go ahead with benefit reform which means they will continue to insist on peoples bank accounts in and out statements and passport bio-metric data.
THE GUARDIAN IS A RAG BUT IN THIS ARTICLE, THE TRUTH RESIDES AMONGS THE NARRATIVE
Note: benefit reform will mean they may back down but they will continue with the gathering of people personal financial information
===
Downing Street considers U-turn on cuts to benefits for disabled people
Controversial plans to cut personal independence payments (Pip) may be shelved after a tense cabinet meeting and backlash from Labour MPs
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2025/mar/15/downing-street-considers-u-turn-on-cuts-to-benefits-for-disabled-people
Ministers have left the door open to a humiliating U-turn on their highly contentious plans to cut benefits for disabled people, amid mounting uproar over the proposals across the Labour party.
Both Downing Street and the Department for Work and Pensions did not deny they were about to backtrack on plans to impose a real-terms cut to the personal independence payment (Pip) for disabled people, including those who cannot work, by cancelling an inflation-linked rise due to come into force next spring.
The plans had been earmarked for inclusion in a green paper scheduled to be published on Tuesday and had been one of several elements of a wider package of welfare cuts designed to save between £5bn and £6bn on the ballooning benefits bill.
Ministers, who are facing the wrath of Labour MPs and peers over the plans, are understood to have taken fright after being accused in meetings with MPs of planning measures rejected as unfair even by former Tory chancellor George Osborne during the Conservative years of austerity.
In his Political Currency podcast last week with former Labour shadow chancellor Ed Balls, Osborne said: “I didn’t freeze Pip. I thought [it] would not be regarded as very fair. What I did try to do was reform Pip.”
Balls, who is married to the home secretary, Yvette Cooper, infuriated Downing Street by saying on the same podcast that the plan would not work if its aim was to get more people back into work, adding that “it’s not a Labour thing to do”.
At a tense cabinet meeting last Tuesday, several serving members raised their concerns about how the Labour government would be viewed if it froze Pip and made it more difficult to receive payments.
Any plan to freeze Pip or change eligibility rules would require primary legislation, running the risk that they could become the focus of a sizeable Labour rebellion in the Commons and the Lords. Several Labour MPs have made it clear to the Observer that they could not support the plans in any parliamentary vote.
continued
Speaking to the Observer, Liz Kendall, the work and pensions secretary, insisted that Labour was sympathetic to those unable to work because of disability.
“I know as a constituency MP for 14 long years under the Tories that there will always be some people who cannot work because of the severity of their disability or health condition,” she said. “Protecting people in genuine need is a principle Labour will never compromise on.”
But she also insisted that the system badly needed reform to ensure that people did not spend a lifetime on benefits and to prevent the overall benefits bill from soaring even higher. “Being trapped on benefits if you can work is terrible for people’s living standards, health and opportunities,” Kendall said.
She added: “It’s terrible for the country too, as spending on the costs of failure soar. The sickness and disability bill for working age people has increased by £20bn since the pandemic, with a further £18bn rise to £70bn projected over the next five years.
We must fix this broken system for the people who depend on it and the country as a whole.”
In a further measure to placate furious Labour MPs, sources said Kendall would move to legislate to create “a right to try” guarantee to ensure sick and disabled people could take a job safe in the knowledge that they would not be forced to undergo a new reassessment and the possibility of losing their benefits as a result.
One million people would see their benefits reduced under the government’s proposed reforms, according to the Times.
The Joseph Rowntree Foundation said that it would be the biggest cut to disability benefits since the Office for Budget Responsibility was created in 2010.
Ministers are said to be examining changing eligibility for Pip in such a way that it would not be available for people who need someone else to help them wash below the waist, or need to be reminded to go to the toilet to prevent them having an accident.
The new rules would, in effect, mean that only the most severely disabled would receive Pip, while those with mental health conditions would not.
Ministers are also planning to scrap the work capability assessment, which is used to decide if people receiving universal credit are fit for work. It is separate from Pip, which is intended to help cover the extra costs of being disabled, whether or not they can work.
About 4.8 million people receive Pip or the benefit it was designed to replace, the disability living allowance.
Campaigners say the problem facing disabled people is that even those who are desperate to return to the workforce find they cannot cope, or employers are not willing to accommodate them.
A government programme that supported 286,000 disabled people over the past seven years who wanted to find work was only able to secure jobs for one in five.
Anna Stevenson, a benefits expert at the disability charity Turn2us, said: “These were people who, although they were unwell, thought they were probably well enough to work and really keen to work.”
Stevenson said that if the government was serious about helping more disabled people into work, it needed to change employment law.
“If you want very high employment among disabled people, one of the things you need to change is how easy it is for employers to fire people when they’re ill. But that has the potential to distort the labour market. There are always trade-offs.”
In the 1970s, employers would put workers on “light duties” if they were unable to do harder, physical jobs, but that practice has all but vanished, leaving disabled people to rely on the state instead.
The Department for Work and Pensions said: “We have a duty to get the welfare bill on a more sustainable path and we will achieve that through meaningful, principled reforms rather than arbitrary cuts to spending.
“That why as part of our Plan for Change we will bring forward our proposals for reform shortly that will unlock work to help us reach our ambition of an 80% employment rate, and is fairer to all.”
This article was amended on 16 March 2025. Owing to an editing error, the statement from the Department for Work and Pensions went unattributed after a revision to an earlier version of the article; the attribution has been reinstated.
end
The truth - supreme court slaps down starmer - runtime 12 minutes
=
Historic decision Stop Bypassing Democracy Supreme Court slaps down Kier Starmer
https://youtu.be/AQ1IXP8uHF0
-
16 Mar 2025 #juneslater63 #kierstarmer #ukpoliticsuncovered
In an historic slap down by The Supreme Court
Kier Starmer' personal political will has received a game changing setback, as his attempts to bypass democracy spending billions and billions without scrutiny of parliament and other bodies has brought him to a judicial gridlock. This is excellent news.
>>22768726, >>22768790, >>22768804, >>22768827 supreme court slaps down starmer on benefit cuts and reforms and guardian fake news article - yt and source article.
A PERSONAL BATTLE THAT ANON TOOK ALONE HERE, CHECK THE LINKS BELOW FOR DATES ON PB INFO AND RESEARCH
Note: sometimes you have to take the lead.
thank you anons and lurkers for making sure this got attention whilst the media were trying to distract with farage and lowe fake fight and war as a distraction.
==
WELFARE REFORM DISGUISED AS WELFARE CUTS AKA SOCIAL CREDIT SYSTEM !!!
Note: This is going to be a DWP (department of work and pensions) reform which will bring in conditions like passport, bio-metric identification information adaptation, access to bank account statements going back months with cash and deposits in and payment out records, saving and investments, a full asset grab operation under the guise of bringing down welfare spending but it will be tony blairs social credit system, way worse than debanking and it will not be done by the state, it will done by local councils
>>22731886, >>22731894, >>22731926 u.k welfare reform aka welfare cuts aka social credit system asset grab - sources, dig bun
>>22730479, >>22730537 THE WILL CALL IT WELFARE REFORM BUT IT IS WELFARE CUTS
tomorrow - paddys day and Q day booms
THE DECISION BY JUSTICE CALVER WHICH WAS MADE ON 16TH JAN 2025 AND LABOUR TRIED TO BURY IT WITH OTHER BAD NEWS AND DISTRACTIONS
Note: The media and a single activist Ellen clifford brought the issue to the court and got the slapdown, the media helped cover it up until anons and social media put pressure on labour party who than backed down slightly but will continue with the social credit system by insisting people hand over their financial info and spy on their bank accounts.
===
High Court rules disability benefit reforms plan as unlawful – but Labour remains committed to cuts
Labour said it will ‘re-consult’ on the Conservative plans, but the government is looking to find the same savings
Albert Toth
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dwp-high-court-disability-benefits-cuts-labour-conservative-b2681346.html
—
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) consultation into plans to cut billions in disability benefits has been ruled unlawful by the High Court for being “unfair and misleading”.
The planned changes, focused on an overhaul of the work capability assessment (WCA), would have seen nearly half a million claimants worse off by as much as £416.19 a month.
Although drawn up by the previous Conservative administration, Labour has said it remains committed to the £1.3 billion a year in spending cuts the plans were set to deliver.
The new government has not clarified how it will achieve this, however, with a new consultation set to be launched in the spring.
In the damning judgement, Mr Justice Calver said the eight-week consultation was “rushed” and “unfair,” finding it failed to reflect the “substantial” loss of benefits many claimants would have faced as a result of the planned changes.
He added it gave the “misleading impression” that the plans were about supporting people into work when cutting welfare spending was likely the “central basis”.
Mr Justice Calver said: “In setting the consultation period, the [secretary of state for work and pensions] ought to have had more regard to the attributes of those people who would be affected by these proposals.
“These were proposals which, in particular, could potentially drive vulnerable people into poverty as well as adversely affecting disabled people and substantial risk claimants who have mental health conditions and suicide ideation.”
The judicial review was brought by disability activist Ellen Clifford, who said she was “overjoyed” at the ruling, adding: “We now urge the government to rethink these proposals and make the safety and wellbeing of disabled benefit claimants their priority, as well as commit to consulting us fairly and lawfully in the future.”
Under the Conservative plans, the WCA reforms would have changed the descriptors used to assess eligibility for certain benefits, making it harder for people to qualify.
DWP had denied that the consultation was unlawful, with Sir James Eadie KC, for the department, saying in written submissions: “There was no inadequacy in the explanation of what the proposals actually were, let alone inadequacy which would render the consultation ‘so unfair as to be unlawful’.”
Labour said it will re-consult on changes to the WCA descriptors but is looking to save the same amount as pencilled in by the previous government.
A government spokesperson said: “The judge has found the previous government failed to adequately explain their proposals. As part of wider reforms that help people into work and ensure fiscal sustainability, the government will re-consult on the WCA descriptor changes, addressing the shortcomings in the previous consultation, in light of the judgment. The government intends to deliver the full level of savings in the public finances forecasts.”
David Southgate, policy manager at disability equality charity Scope, said: “It’s good that the previous government has been called out for its mistakes. Proposed changes to the WCA were only about saving money not meaningful change.
“Life costs a lot more when you’re disabled, and cutting support to those who need it most will lead to even more disabled people living in poverty.
“There is already so much anxiety and uncertainty about what is happening with benefits reform. The current government must take forward these lessons to the next consultation, and work with disabled people to fix our broken benefits system.”
end
did someone say mook - kek
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/114172975550525919
the middle image is biden's autopen presidency.